Your status for filing a federal tax return generally depends on your marital status as of December 31.   However, more than one filing status may apply in certain situations.  If this is the case, taxpayers can usually choose the filing status that allows them to pay the least amount of tax.

The statuses are single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, head of household and qualifying widow or widower with a dependent child. In general, head of household status is more favorable than filing as a single taxpayer. To qualify, you must “maintain a household” that, for more than half the year, is the principal home of a “qualifying child” or other relative that you can claim as your dependent.

Your filing status can affect the amount of tax you owe, and it may even determine if you have to file a tax return at all. We’ll help determine which filing status is best for you when we prepare your tax return.


To set up an in-person or virtual appointment, call 315.424.1120 or email


Grossman St. Amour CPAs PLLC is located in Syracuse, New York and has been in business for sixty-four years.   The accounting firm provides businesses and individuals with accounting, audit, taxation, business planning and valuation, financial planning, investment consulting, and fraud examination and deterrence services.  For more information about how Grossman St. Amour CPAs PLLC can be of service to you, contact, call 315.424.1120 or, contact one of our professionals.